SCOTT CONTESSA SPARK 930 2021
LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABLE, AFFORDABLE.
About Scott Contessa Spark 930 2021
The Scott Contessa Spark 930 has a super light Alloy frame, as well as an X-Fusion NUDE shock with three modes. Throw in a Shimano 12-speed Drivetrain and you've got a lightweight, durable and affordable bike that retains the great geometry and ride of its Carbon cousins.
Asymmetric Design: The Spark down tube shock and linkage are clearly asymmetric, when looking from the top of the bike. Carbon fibres achieve their full potential when used in smooth straight lines. Off setting the shock slightly to the left hand side of the bike gives a clean and continuous structure from the down tube through the shock mount to the main pivot.
Rocker Link: The Spark carbon linkage is constructed with a compression moulding process. It’s 37g lighter than the aluminium equivalent and half the weight of the previous Spark linkage. Making the link in two pieces means all excess material can be removed from the inside of the linkage,without sacrificing stiffness.
Trunnion Construction: Scott have adopted the new Metric shock sizing standards with a Trunnion mount. Since the shock body now extends between the two lower mounting bolts, Scott's suspension partners have more design space. This means the shock has more stroke for the same eye to eye length. Stroke on the 165mm eye to eye shock has increased from 38mm to 40/45mm.The Trunnion standard also offers structural gains. The shorter shock enables them to build a very compact frame and shock package, which integrates tightly to the seat tube. They managed to have a very tiny yet stiff linkage-lighter than ever. Thanks to the Trunnion mount construction, stand over height on the new Spark is very low. They are still able to realize a super compact full suspension frame and provide the ability to mount both a small and big water bottle.
The Spark family maintains the 165mm eye-to-eye shock length of the previous Spark 900 (Scott's shortest shock), but realises up to 7mm more shock stroke. All Spark RC and most Spark and Spark Plus bikes utilize the FOX Nude shock, specially made for SCOTT:
-165mm Metric Trunnion shock
-40mm (100mm travel RC Spark line-up) vs. 38mm (old Spark)
-45mm (120mm travel Spark line-up)
By turning the Trunnion shock upside-down, they can fully integrate it into the frame which results in several benefits. Since the Trunnion mount is the same width as the down tube and mainpivot, they can have a very clean frame design in this critical area. The lack of tight transitions and small details allows for an efficient, continuous carbon structure. Carbon material added to reinforce the shock mount also stiffens the connection between the down tube, main pivot and bottom bracket, a key stiffness path.
The flipped shock also lowers the frame’s center of gravity helping to give a more planted feel when riding. Unsprung mass is reduced since it is the lighter part of the shock, connected to the linkage, not the heavier body which must move during an impact – the suspension system can react faster. Scott's TwinLoc remote cable can be routed cleanly into the down tube.
Twinloc Suspension System: With TwinLoc, a rider can effectively control the complete frame, fork, and shock as a system. Why does this matter? A bike with more suspension travel, correctly set up, has more sag than a bike with less travel. It's that extra travel that makes it more fun to ride and more capable on the descents, but the greater sag has an oversized effect on the bike's geometry and climbing performance. That's where TwinLoc matters.
TwinLoc helps manage the sag effect in several ways. Whereas most systems only increase low-speed compression in an effort to gain pedaling efficiency, TwinLoc allows Scott to not only change compression damping, but also to change the spring curve, dynamically altering the geometry of the bike. In Trail mode, the shock is not only firmer, but it has dynamically less travel. The bike sits higher, maintains a steep seat angle for those climbs, and becomes more agile. They also offer a third, full lockout mode for going up in the most efficient manner possible.
These unique settings optimize climbing geometry, even on longer travel bikes. They can eliminate the "long travel effect" that can rob your pedaling efficiency, but they're not robbing you of the full-fun, 100mm travel when you point it downhill. From a race setting, to a lunch ride, to an after work trail shred, being able to switch from mode to mode depending on a trails profile at the push of a lever is paramount to riding faster and having a damned good time.
- Frame : Spark 3 Alloy SL 6011 custom butted Hydroformed tubes tapered Headtube / BB92 dropouts for 5x141mm 2.6 tire compatible
- Fork : RockShox Judy Silver TK Solo Air 15x110mm QR axle / Tapered Steerer / Reb. Adj. 2 Modes / Lockout / 120mm travel
- Rear Shock : X-Fusion NUDE Trunnion SCOTT custom w. travel / geo adj. 3 modes: Lockout-Traction Control -Descend Reb. Adj. Travel 120-85-Lockout / 165X45mm
- Hubs : F: Formula CL811 / 15x110mm / R: Formula CL2241 / 5x141mm
- Spokes : Stainless Black 15G / 1.8mm
- Tyres : Maxxis Rekon / 2.4" / 60TPI
- Shifters : SRAM SX Eagle Trigger
- Rear Derailleur : SRAM SX / Eagle 12 Speed
- Crankset : SRAM SX Eagle DUB Boost 30T
- Bottom Bracket : SRAM DUB PF integrated / shell 41x92mm
- Chain : SRAM CN SX Eagle
- Cassette : SRAM SX-PG1210 / 11-50 T
- Brakes : Shimano MT201 Disc 180mm F&R SM-RT10 CL rotor
- Handlebar : Syncros Alloy 6061 T shape Flat / 9° / 740mm Syncros Pro lock-on grip
- Handlebar Stem : Syncros Alloy 6061 oversized 31.8mm / 1 1/8" / 6° angle
- Headset : Syncros OE Press Fit / Tapered 1.5"-1 1/8" OD 50/61mm / ID 44/55mm
- Saddle : Syncros Savona V-Concept 2.5
- Seat Post : Syncros Duncan Dropper 2.5 Remote 31.6mm / S size 100mm / M, L 125mm
- EXTRAS : SCOTT TwinLoc TSP Suspension-Seatpost Remote below Bar / 3 modes / integ. Grip clamp